After The Great Fire of London in 1666, the first buildings erected were in St James, southwest of the old city; one of St James’s buildings was an Alehouse called “The Mason Arms”. It was situated next to “Cavendish House”, home of Lady Cavendish, the ‘Duchess of Duke Street’ and mistress to King Edward VII, who resided at the palace of St James.
At the rear of Cavendish House and The Mason Arms was Mason Yard, where the Stonemasons prepared the stones for the building of Westminister Palace.
The coachmen and grooms would park their coaches and horses in Mason Yard and wait for their masters, who were being entertained at Cavendish House. They wiled away their time drinking ale and playing chequers on the steps of the ale house. So, in time The Masons Arms became known as The Chequers Pub and soon had a new sign depicting a Chequers Board.


16 Duke Street St James’s, St. James’s, London SW1Y 6DB, United Kingdom


MON-SAT 11 am – 11 pm 

SUN 12 pm – 7:30 pm

12 pm – 4:30 pm